Fingerboarding Nostalgic?

I remember the wax! The first decks I bought came with either wax or clay to use as “grip” and it sucked hard (and made a mess). I think I got my first one at a flea market in Missouri when I was like 10. Hilarious! Good memory!

I also remember that first Tech Deck picnic table (that I had until a few years when my Mother gave it to Goodwill because it was just “sitting out” in my room) came with the Fingers of Fury VHS and I was blown away. I wanted to make that spinning table so bad. I also wanted consistent kickflips like the dude in the video. I also remember the wooden series Tech Deck Expert Sk8s. I wish I would have gotten one. One of my life regrets lol. I heard they were terrible but I would love to have one.

I still have mine, haha

What the freak! That’s awesome lol if you want to sell it… :wink:

Haha, that’s awesome! Flea markets in Springfield Missouri ALWAYS had fingerboard stuff. I think people bought them cheap in bulk from the company, and sold them for quick easy money. Lol

6th grade 1997 it was all about the keychain skateboard with the skate grip on it. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. So in 98-99 when i first saw tech decks my mind was blown. Im pretty sure that back then I felt as though it couldnt get any better. I would never have imagined what we have now. Kinda wish i would have kept up w wood and metal working after shop class in 7th grade. This is also why its funny to me when kids these days beg for free stuff on IG and tell sob stories to try and gain sympathy from companies: “ i cant afford a fb” “someone stole my complete” ect… especially now that you got 32mm teck decks out

Wasnt there a time in around 2007-2008 when a prete kura? (the one with the metal bottom) was sold for something like 120$ ?

Yes indeed… prete was the woob of 10 years ago… or rather, woob is the modern day prete.

I remember the first time I saw a JClant deck and thought “Now shits getting serious.”

I genuinely think they were the first decks to adhere to todays ‘professional’ standards.

So that’s tech deck nostalgia and that only happened until 2000 when the first fingerboard decks were made. So what are you even taking about?

I’m sorry, @davo. I’ve always used the ‘fingerboarding’ term to represent the action, not the product. I didn’t mean to cause any confusion.

No problem, just wanted to clarify as there are people out there claiming earlier and earlier years with no proof of anything.

Ha no I wouldn’t do that - I’m no veteran or anything. I was in grade school when Tech Decks came out and that’s where my nostalgia comes from.

I stopped fingerboarding in high school and started up again in 2016 because I had no clue real fingerboards existed until then; I only knew about the toy predecessors. I’ve been riding again ever since :slight_smile:

I sold one on eBay for around $100 around 2008-2009

I remember waiting for the final bell to ring in 6th grade because I knew my package from Empire Fingerboards was supposed to be in.

Had that same feeling waiting for my Flatface package to get here today lol.

Just found one of my old fingerboards from 2004!
Looks like a toothpick! :joy:
It is one of the first decks I made together with a friend from skating. Only nose and tail and no concave. We called ourself wicked weasel fingerboard company not knowing the micro bikini company also called wicked weasel :joy:
It has the first graphic I ever made on it.
Also it is equipped with real grip tape and ancient tech deck trucks. Those were painted with nail polish and have ultra tiny tech deck stickers on them. The wheels don‘t have any bearings but I got my hands on some metal sleeves I could fit into the wheels. Those did last much longer than the tech deck wheels. Crazy times…

An extremely old Flatface deck…

they don’t make them like this anymore. :frowning:
I actually like deck making from 10 years ago - yes the decks weren’t perfect, but they had soul. Now all the decks are perfect with cool graphics ( actually most are pretty lame ) and always available.

I also want to comment on this. I feel this so much. That’s why I am so happy I discovered my favourite shoe model of all time éS Accel has been re-released. I now have my fourth pair of them.

Hmm, I have to take a look at those one day - they look like they’re built really solid. I’m currently about to bust through the soles of my Etnies Faders.

Do you or anyone have experience with the Marana Michelins? I’ve been researching the favored skate shoe since this post and people seem to mention them all the time.